Monday, November 12, 2007

Shoes glorious shoes!

Hi all! Though the current writers strike is threatening to cut into my shoe budget, my love for these gorgeous little gems continues, so today I would like to present a shoe I am currently coveting.

Pedro Garcia - Mary Jane close-toed pumps in black leather.

I am working on updating my clothes and shoe closets with classic staples that are stylish, but that have staying power and won't be obsolete next season. A basic black pump is a great staple and this super skinny strap across the bridge of the foot adds some fun flare. The strap's placement (not too high, not too low) and slimness are the key to making this a hot pair of shoes. In many ways I was very "over" the whole mary jane shoe thing (the Manolos that SJP coveted as an "urban shoe myth" were absolutely everywhere for so long that I couldn't stand the sight of them and refused to get any because they were too omnipresent.) As I look at them again now (pictured below) I do appreciate them as a beautifully designed and executed pair of shoes, but I still can't bring my self to want them due to the over-saturation of the market.

Manolo Blahnik black leather Mary Jane pumps.

I think the reason I would be interested in the Pedro Garcia pumps over the Blahniks is that the Blahniks make it too much about being a mary jane (if that makes any sense). The strap is thick and prominently placed right in the middle of your foot. It shouts in your face, "these are mary janes!" With the Garcias, the strap is slim, delicate and subtle. The strap is more of an embellishment to a simple, classic pump, rather than its raison d'ĂȘtre. However, Manolo Blahniks will still always remain my favorites for heel shape over any shoe out there. Blahnik's water drop heels are, and will always be, true shoe perfection.

0 comments: