Friday, November 14, 2008

Riding off into the Sunset

On this last day of my salute to riding boots, I'm going to take a look at a few of the offerings from Ralph Lauren. Since the label is known for their equestrian inspired style, one would be remiss in not looking to Mr. Lauren for a fine riding boot.

Here are a few of the Ralph Lauren riding boots:


Lauren by Ralph Lauren "Willa" riding boots (shown in two toned dark brown/burnished calf color)
$200 USD at various department stores


Lauren by Ralph Lauren "May" riding boots (shown in dark saddle with gold-tone hardware)
$198 USD at Bloomingdales


Ralph Lauren Collection "Serana" riding boots (shown in dark oak)
$1100 USD at Bloomingdales

I like that Ralph Lauren gives a nice range of price points for their riding boots between the Lauren by Ralph Lauren and Ralph Lauren Collection labels. Of these three, I think I would go with the Willa style, although I can't say that I'm in love with any of the styles. The Willa is a nice, basic, utilitarian riding style boot, so I think I could get the most use out of it. It will definitely do the job. I love the hardware and leather embellishments at the top of the May boot, but they lose me at the bottom of the boot. The design of the stitching and the height of the heel make it look too much like a Go-Go boot and not enough like a riding boot. The Serana, while clearly beautifully made, is just a little too hardcore for my taste. I want a riding "inspired" boot that makes sense in the city while I'm shopping or going to lunch. These, with their serious hardware, seem out of place anywhere but firmly placed in the stirrups atop one's favorite equine pal.

So now I will have to stew over all of the great riding boots we've looked at this week and try to figure out which ones will be making an appearance in my closet very, very soon! See you next week!

0 comments: